Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Get INSPIRED!

I like to draw inspiration from all things, whether it be the sweet smell of honeysuckle on a summer day or the smile of a loved one. In each and every moment of our day, inspiration can be found to make you want to do better, be better, and want more for yourself. When it comes to your health, that inspiration can be found all around you! We recently caught up with one of our readers and we were privileged to hear about her own inspirational journey to health and wellness. A journey that not only helped her lose weight, but inspired her to help others adopt a healthy lifestyle. Let her story be an inspiration to you to pave your own path to healthy because today is your day to "Get INSPIRED!"

Tammie, age 36, Entrepreneur, Equestrian, Owner of Savvy Science, Independent Health Consultant for Take Shape for Life, and most importantly, Mom of 3
http://savvyscience.net/
http://weighdownsouth.tsfl.com/

When was the defining moment (or turning point) for you when you knew you needed to take control of your health?
It was all about the numbers initially. I didn't like my scale number, I didn't like my size number, and I was feeling kinda helpless in figuring out how to make the change. I was spinning my wheels wondering where I went wrong or passing the blame on my age or the change my body went through having babies. I really didn't look beyond those to how I can fix it, almost reside to the fact that this is the way it is going to be. My blood pressure was getting increasingly high to the point I needed medicine to control it and in my third pregnancy I had developed gestational diabetes, which will put women at a 60% higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes usually within the next 5-10 years. It was then that I knew that the weight had to come off.
What did you do to lose the weight?
I was inspired by my sons' preschool teacher to loose the weight. She had lost 40 lbs and is a mom of 5 of her own children. If she was able to do it with her busy schedule, I knew there was hope for me. I started a plan called Take Shape for Life. It embraces the ideas of BeSlim - eating Breakfast within one hour of waking up, Exercising, Support from family, friends and/or a health coach, eating Low fat meals 5-6 times a day, having an Individual plan, and Monitoring my weight weekly. So my dietary day would consist of eating every 2.5-3 hours (5 medifast meals- small, low fat, high fiber meals- and one lean meat and about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of lower carbohydrate vegetables) to keep my metabolism going.
How much weight did you lose?
50 lbs.
Were you on any health medications (high blood pressure, etc) before your weight loss journey, that you now no longer need to take?
I have been able to decrease my blood pressure medicine by half.
What was your goal, besides losing unwanted pounds, in taking control of your health?
My Kids. Overweight parents often times have overweight children. I wanted my children to learn a better way of eating and understand how to take better care of their bodies.
Did you adopt exercise into your life, and how often do you do it? (and what kind of exercise do you do?)
Yes. I am an equestrian, so getting in more riding time has helped a lot. As well as, walking 5 days a week for about 1/2 hour or so. I am looking to start running again and enter 5Ks once more.
What did a day of typical "eating" look lik ebefore you started on your health journey, and what does it look like now?
Before - My mornings would be so rushed getting kids ready for school and out the door that I would not often eat breakfast until mid-morning (about 4 hours after waking) which would probably be an english muffin, toaster struddle or eggo waffle with full sugar syrup. And then maybe lunch (sandwich, chips and a soda) and nothing more until dinner (pasta or a meat with sometype of potato and vegetable). And on occassion maybe a night time ice cream or chocolate. All consisting of high carbs, lots of sugar, large portions (because if the kids didn't finish theirs, mommy had too), and long times between meals.
Now - I have a protein shake when I wake up and before all the kids are up, and eat small meals through out the day every 2.5 hours, always eating a good carb with protein (greek yogurts, celery and peanut butter, turkey slice wrapped around a dill pickle, turkey pepperoni and low-fat cheese, fruit and nuts, etc). Dinner consists of a lean meat and lots of vegetables. An whole grain products on occasion, but not everyday. And lots of WATER! No more sodas or juices.
What, do you feel, was the most important lesson learning on your journey to wellness?
Make time for me! I am worth it!
What are your healthy go to items that you now make sure to stock your fridge with?
Greek yogurts, lots of fresh vegetables (broccoli, squash, tomatoes etc.), salad dressing with no more than 5g fat and 6g carbs, dill pickles, deli turkey slices, low fat cheeses, whole grain products with at least 4g fiber and nuts

Do you have any future weight loss or health goals you are currently still striving for?
I am still working towards losing about 10 more pounds and building up my endurace to run in a 5K

What are you doing now to maintain your weight loss?
Exercise and really thinking about what I eat, when I eat, and not making excuses anymore.

Do you have a favorite healthy meal you can share with our readers?
Clean Eating (Jan/Feb 2012)
Rosemary-Braised Turkey Cutlets
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 4oz boneless, skinless turkey breast cutlets
  • 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
  • 3 Tangerines/or Fresh Mandarin orange juice
  • 12 oz broccoli florets
Instructions:
  1. In a large nonstick saute pan with tight-fitting lid, heat on medium-low. Add diced onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for 2 mins.
  2. Reduce heat to low, stir and cover. Cook, stirring once, until onion softens, about 2 mins.
  3. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over both sides of turkey and sear, turning once, until, cooked through, about 2 mins per side. Stir in broth, tangerine or mandarin juice and couscous and bring to a simmer.
  4. Top with Fresh Tangerine segments and broccoli, distributing evenly. Cover, and cook, undisturbed, until turkey is cooked through and broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp, about 5 mins.
  5. Fluff couscous with a fork and serve immediately.
Nuturients per serving: (1 turkey cutlet & 1 1/2 cups broccoli couscous mixture)
Calories: 345
Protein: 34g
Total Fat: 6g
Total Carbs: 40g
Fiber: 8g
 Do you have a personal weight loss story to tell? Would you like your own health journey to be an inspiration to others? Contact us and you could be the next focus story in our series "Get INSPIRED!"   
                                          Tammie
 Before
After

No comments:

Post a Comment