Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Vegan Chili 'cause you like Animals and you want them to smile (not on your dinner plate;)

Sure you can make it with lean ground beef, ground chicken or turkey, or even all veggies, BUT sometimes you just want to try something different, right?
Oh, what am I talking about? CHILI, of course! One of my favorite meals because you can fill it with good for you things and make it really healthy, without sacrificing flavor. And did I mention just how filling and satisfying it is when your on the go and trying to eat healthy! It's good for you nutrition ALL in one bowl!!
SO, like I was saying, sure you can make CHILI all kinds of ways, but last night I wanted something VEGAN (no animal products) BUT packed with protein. After rummaging through my fridge, I came across something I've suggested before, that I just LOVE...
LIGHTLIFE Smart Ground Veggie Protein Crumbles, and decided to make some CHILI!
 You can find these in the vegetarian aisle of your grocery market (in the refrigerated produce section)

Here's my recipe:
Vegan Chili
1 package of smart ground
1 packet of chili seasoning
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of red kidney beans drained
3/4 cup water
1/2 of a green pepper (or whatever peppers you like best, add a jalapeno if you like it spicy!)
1/2 of a vidalia onion (or any onion you like)

Saute pepper and onion until soft and tender. Add smart crumble and chili seasoning packet and saute until well covered and warmed through. Add diced tomatoes, drained kidney beans, and 3/4 of a cup of water (little or more water depending on how thick or thin you like your chili). Bring to a boil, then reduce to low, simmering for 15 minutes while the flavors come together. Serve a generous portion in a bowl, adding whatever toppings you like. I added a vegan cheese and sour cream alternative. ENJOY! Can you believe this is VEGAN? YUM!

280 calories in a 1 cup serving

No comments:

Post a Comment